24 May 2012

My first (completed) button up shirt!

I started a burda pattern for a shirt a while back, and as usual I cut it following the bust measurement. 
It turned out HUGE. I spent lots of time taking it in, but I havn't got it right yet, so its sitting in the UFO pile... Maybe this weekend.

A couple of weeks ago I was in the op shop, and saw this basic shirt pattern from 1975. 
Style 1242
It was only 50c, looked like all the pieces were there. I've never really sewn from printed paper patterns, never mind old ones, so I wasn't sure it would fit, but it was only 50c and I had the perfect thrifted fabric to try it out on.

I didn't notice how big the collar would be!

But I do love the sleeves. I finished them with 3 lines of stitching and a button.
There is also an option for big floaty sleeves, which I'm looking forward to trying!

It was a pretty good fit with no changes, but it needs an extra inch or so across the shoulders so I can actually put my arms out in front of me!


  1. I think Burda patterns are often a bit generous in size (I like that!) & vintage patterns are often a bit smaller than you expect.
    Haven't seen your Burda blouse but when blouses turn out a bit loose I use decorative tucks to give them shape. Sometimes tiny gathers covered with a pretty buttons can help too.

  2. Really pretty blouse. Thanks for leaving me the link so I could come and check it out xx


I love hearing from you!